Like other smart shoppers, you’ve probably asked yourself if organic food is better for your health, or if the so-called advantages are just a bunch of hype.
Let’s first look at the word organic and how it is used. An organic farm is one that is dedicated to particular principles with regard to the environment, humans, and animals. Organic farming forgoes the use of chemical products in growing food. Farming organically is just one part of a larger emphasis on causing less harm to animals, the environment, and to human beings that eat the farmed food. The worldwide worth of the organic marketplace is more than $27 billion, and an amount of land equal to the size of Italy is committed to it.
The Meaning of Organic Labels
If a food product has an organic label it means that it was grown on a farm, and also that its processors and importers have been validated by a known process of certification. Nearly all agricultural ingredients of a processed food (95%) must be approved as organic. The remaining 5% don’t need to be organic, but the contents must be approved.
To receive certification that their food is organic, food producers have follow these rules: Nitrous oxide is present in fertilizers, so they can’t be used. Instead, farmers can alternate planted crops (known as crop rotation), as this leaves more natural nutrients behind, or they can use manure. Pesticides are forbidden. Bugs have to be dealt with by using other insects, or by weeding and planting alternating crops next to each other, which enables them to take care of each other’s bugs.
Colorings, preservatives, and most other additives cannot be used. Animals must be treated humanely by having access to areas where they are free to roam and by being fed organic food, as well as other considerations. There are also minimum slaughter ages for animals.